Grant amounts range from $500 to $7,500. The property owner(s) must commit at least as much as to the project as the amount for which they apply. For example, if you are applying for the maximum $7,500 grant, the total project cost MUST be $15,000 or more. The applicant may access the Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Loan Program for the match, or match EDA funds with grant monies received from other organizations.
Only one grant will be allowed per building during any five-year period.
Eligible properties must be located within Hutchinson’s historic downtown district. The boundaries of which are the Crow River on the North, Fourth Avenue on the South, properties with frontage on the west side of Franklin Street and properties with frontage on the East side of Hassan Street.
Improvements that can be viewed from the public right-of-way including:
- Windows & doors
- Painting, sandblasting or other façade improvements such as siding, soffits and fascia, tuck pointing, trim and stucco repair.
- Exterior lighting
- Garages or storage buildings
- Playground equipment
- Signs & Awnings – eligible through Sign & Awning Program
- Roofs – eligible through Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Loan Program
- Foundations – eligible through Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Program
- Private parking lots – eligible through Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Loan Program
- Handicap accessibility – eligible through Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Loan Program
- Cement work (private steps, sidewalks) – eligible through Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Loan Program
Work by Applicant
The grant applicant may do their own work and use grant funds to cover 50% of the materials cost, up to a maximum of $7,500. Materials must be purchased, installed and inspected prior to the disbursement of grant funds.
Under unusual circumstances, a partial advance will be provided to the grant recipient.
The EDA Finance Team and EDA Board of Directors will review all applications for final approval.
Contractor/Materials Supplier: A minimum of two bids must be obtained from contractors or materials suppliers.
Permits: All required permits must be obtained. For the fastest service, submit applications by the 10th of the month.
Total Project Cost
The EDA may approve a grant for up to ½ of the cost of materials if the applicant does their own work, or ½ of the cost to hire a contractor to do the work, up to a maximum grant of $7,500. There is a minimum grant of $500; therefore the minimum project amount is $1,000. Projects that exceed $15,000 will not receive more than the $7,500 maximum award. If the costs of the final project exceed the amount for which the applicant is eligible, they must obtain the additional funds from another source.
Weather permitting; all projects must be completed within 120 days of the funding approved date.
If work is completed prior to obtaining funding approval, the applicant may submit an application requesting reimbursement under the guidelines of this program. If the applicant is seeking reimbursement, a final invoice must be included with the application. The final invoice must be dated no more than 60 days before the application is submitted to the EDA. The EDA is not obligated to approve your application.
Disbursement Process: after building department and/or EDA staff inspection to verify completion of the work, a two-party check will be issued payable to both the forgivable grant recipient and the contractor or materials supplier. Before funds can be released, the following must be received by EDA staff:
- Final, original invoice from contractor (or materials list from supplier),
- Completion certificates signed by the loan recipient and/or the contractor,
- Copies of all required city permits (also indicating final inspection by the city when necessary),
- Final inspection by the EDA (If deemed necessary).
Please allow a minimum of 14 days from the time invoices are submitted for reimbursement checks to be issued. The Hutchinson City Council approves all expenditures on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month and invoices must be received at least eleven days prior to the council meeting for their consideration. Please advise your contractors of this schedule.
Please call the Hutchinson Economic Development Authority at 320.234.5652 if you have any questions or need additional information.Apply for a Façade Improvement Program